Post Treatment Instructions For Dentures
* Most new dentures require an adjustment period. This period will require the patient and the dentist to work together for the best result for you and your dentures.
* Start slowly with a new denture. Eat easier softer foods first before attempting to chew more challenging foods. Also, practice speaking with your new teeth. Even if your new dentures are very similar to a previous set, there will be differences that will require you to learn to eat and speak all over again.
* Dentures will not fit as well as the an initially. It generally takes several days for a new set of dentures to settle into the tissue of the mouth.
* After several days of trial wear with a new set, you will generally be instructed to return to your dentist for a check. Adjustments can then be made based on your experiences. Any soreness of the gums, looseness, difficulties with chewing, or difficulties in speech can be evaluated. Your dentist can then make necessary adjustments or give you suggestions for dealing with any concerns that you have.
* The most important way of caring for your dentures is to brush them at least once a day–inside and out! You can use a soft tooth brush or special denture brush. Either regular toothpaste or denture cream will work well. Occasional soaking in a denture cleansing solution can also be helpful. Generally, soaking on a weekly basis followed by a thorough brushing will be adequate.
* Take care not to drop your dentures when cleaning them. It is helpful to clean your dentures over a washcloth or over a sink full of water to prevent breaking the denture if dropped.
* Dentures require regular professional care. We suggest that all denture patients have their dentures and gum tissue checked on a yearly basis. This assures that any problems are identified and corrected before damage is done to the mouth. Adjustments and relines can be made to dentures that will keep them working well and fitting well longer than if no preventative care is taken.
* Most often, it is best to sleep with dentures out of the mouth. This gives the tissues of the mouth a rest too. In some instances, a patient’s jaws or muscles need to support of dentures at sleep. These patients will feel better sleeping with their dentures in place.
* If you have existing dentures and have any questions about the fit or appearance of your teeth, call the office for an evaluation appointment today!
Caring for your Dentures
*It’s important that your dentures, like natural teeth, be kept free from plaque and tartar. This prevents permanent staining and bad breath. Use a denture brush and one of the many commercial cleaning products to thoroughly clean all of the surfaces of your dentures at least once a day.
*Using a soft bristled toothbrush, brush your remaining teeth, as well as your tongue, palate, and gums. This not only removes plaque and keeps your breath fresh; it also massages your gums and stimulates circulation, keeping your natural teeth and tissues healthy.
*Tough stains and tartar can be removed by soaking your dentures in white vinegar for several hours. After you’ve cleaned your dentures, always remember to rinse them in water before placing them in your mouth.
*If your dentures have no metal parts, you can soak them in a diluted bleach solution to remove tough stains. Never soak your dentures in a cleaning agent for more than 15 minutes if they have any metal parts. Be sure to rinse them thoroughly before placing them in your mouth.
*Whenever they are out of your mouth, your dentures should be stored in water.
*Your gums need a period of rest in order to remain healthy, so don’t wear your dentures to bed at night.
*See us regularly for examinations to ensure that your dentures fit properly and your mouth stays healthy.
*Always let us know right away if you notice any changes in your bite or fit.
What We Offer
When you visit Main Street Dental you can expect the utmost care for your smile. We offer the following servces:
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Invisalign® clear braces
- Dental Implant dentistry
- Children’s Dentistry
- General teeth cleaning and exams
- Dental crowns
- Oral screening
Main Street Dental Is A Top Rated Cosmetic Dentist.
FOR A LIMITED TIME, MAIN STREET DENTAL IS OFFERING ABSOLUTELY FREE COSMETIC DENTISTRY CONSULTATIONS!
As an added benefit, our office is pleased to offer easy, NO INTEREST financing that enables you to extend your payments over a period of time.