POST TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS
Patient Post-op Instructions - Scaling and Root Planing
To minimize the discomfort and encourage proper healing following your scaling and root planing, follow these instructions:
- After the procedure, take aspirin, acetaminophen (Tylenol®), or ibuprofen (Advil®) before the anesthetic wears off. Continue to take one tablet every four hours for the next two days.
- A saltwater solution (1/2 teaspoon salt + 1/2 teaspoon soda + 8 ounces warm water) swished in your mouth for 2 to 3 minutes every hour may make your mouth more comfortable.
- Use a soft toothbrush at least two times a day. Be gentle and clean thoroughly. Slight bleeding may occur while brushing as the tissues begin to heal.
- Avoid strong spicy seasonings, and hard crunchy for the next few days.
- Smoking should be stopped. Success of the treatment will be substantially reduced by the cigarette smoke chemicals in your body.
- As the tissues heal, some temporary sensitivity to cold may occur. Use a desensitizing toothpaste (such as Sensodyne®), or fluoride gel (such as Prevident® or Gel-Kam®) frequently (at least 4 times/day) for 1 to 2 weeks. Also, the cleaner the teeth are kept, the less sensitive they will be.
- Faithfully use any other oral hygiene aids that have been recommended (floss, Perio-Aid®, rubber tip, Sonicare®, Proxabrush®, Gel-Kam® fluoride, Peridex® mouthrinse, etc).
- If you have any questions or concerns, please call your dentists office.
State of the Art
When you enter our well-appointed greeting-area, you will be met by our friendly staff that will check you in and answer any pre-treatment questions you may have. Once in the dental chair, you will see how much we care about your comfort and convenience. A beverage bar is available for refreshments, paraffin hand treatments are provided for that “spa” feeling, and blankets can be given for added comfort.
Each operatory is equipped with flat-panel LCD televisions that serve two purposes: first, for our patients’ entertainment during procedures, and also, as a valuable tool the staff can use to visually demonstrate treatments, show you x-ray images, and review past treatments from your electronic patient chart. For entertainment purposes, we have full local TV and premium cable service.